Saturday 14 November 2009

"Read the Instructions first!!"


.....thats what my husband always tells me....but do I learn? No....only the hard way!
I sat down last night all eager to create my very first Amigurumi creature, only to be thoroughly frustrated with having to continually pull out my work after only a few rounds because I couldnt remember how many stitches I had done! Those of you familiar with the art of Japanese crochet will know that unlike conventional crochet, this is worked in a round, so you never come to the end of the row, thus it is important to know where you STARTED so you know where to STOP for each particular row!
I was so fed up with it I decided to hide it by the side of the sofa ( on top of several other UFO's!) and go to bed. Whilst trying to drop off and trying also not to feel too defeated it occured to me the answer to my problem would be something to mark the first stitch of each row with...which reminded me I had some time ago bought a beautiful set of handmade crochet and knitting markers from a very special online friend of mine! I nodded peacefully off to sleep knowing that in the morning I could start the challenge again...fully armed!
The morning began early (5 a.m!) with a poorly daughter, but the upside was I had lots of crafting time ahead of me as all she really wanted me to do was be with her and soothe her aching head from time to time. So, I set off to find my super duper markers...only to find I had kept them in such a special, safe place, I couldnt remember where! So I sat down with the Amigurumi book again and decided to read the "Introduction" and what a lot of heartache I could have saved myself had I done it earlier "...a row marker is essential...." I finally read!! The author contents herself with a small piece of contrasting yarn and hooks it on the first stitch at the beginning of each row...and hey presto....it works!!! As you can see I managed to complete my very first Amigurumi creature. She is called "Melody and DD is delighted with her....still in her PJ's here and her cuddly quilt, but very pleased to have a new toy to add to her ever growing collection at the end of her bed. She has already placed an "order" for a pink dress and has several other outfits in mind!
I have to say I am rather pleased with myself for actually creating something using a crochet pattern....even if I am not the worlds best at sewing the face on afterwards....Rome wasn't built in a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment